Thursday, October 2, 2008

Welcome to Top Shelf

As some of you noticed earlier today, I was fortunate enough to get a very nice mention in the Buffalo News. Since I know that link is going to be dead in a few weeks here's the highlight:

On Top Shelf, the cheery proprietress, Heather B, shares her thoughts before and after Sabres games. What will keep Sabres faithful coming back is Heather’s love of the game, and her rare talent at expressing, in fine-grained detail, the joys and tribulations of Sabres fandom.

Fine-grained detail? Wow, way to raise the expectations, guys.

Seriously, it might be bad form to toot my own horn but I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty darn stoked to see that. A friend pointed it out to me first and I stood there for probably ten minutes saying, "This is so cool!" over and over. I might have jumped up and down.

Mostly I bring this up to apologize to those of you who saw the above blurb in the paper or on TBN's website, came here expecting some smart, funny hockey talk and found a post about Coke. I beg for mercy and remind you that it's the preseason and we're all talking about games we can't see being played largely by players who won't be on the team a week from now. Once the season starts, I'll be a little more on the ball although let's be honest, I will occasionally blog about things like how excited I am about getting Coke at the arena. That's how we roll here at Top Shelf.

If you're here for the first time - or you're a more recent convert - I would encourage you to check out some of the posts linked in the top right hand corner under "Welcome to Top Shelf." If you read through them I think you'll come away with a pretty good feel for what kind of writing you're likely to find here and more importantly, you'll get a pretty good idea of me as a fan and who and what I love or don't love about the great game of hockey. If you're so inclined, feel free to join in on the conversations in the comments section or drop me an email. Interacting with other fans is one of the best things about writing this here blog.

So welcome! Please stick around for what I'm hoping will be a great season! (Please God, let it be a great season...)

13 comments:

Meg said...

Psst . . . Heather . . . I think "in fine-grained detail" means "at length." ;)

(I jest, of course, I love that your posts are long and eloquent)

Meg said...

Oh, and congratulations on your mention!

S.A.M. said...

Congrats Heather! :) You're famous!

Heather B. said...

Psst . . . Heather . . . I think "in fine-grained detail" means "at length." ;)

D'oh! I didn't even pick up on that but I'm sure you're right, Meg. "In fine-grained detail" has to be journalist speak for "you might want to grab a drink and sandwich before you start reading because good lord, this girl can ramble." That makes me feel better though... I can totally live up to that! :-D

Anonymous said...

A Welcome to top shelf post, with no mention of Henrik Tallinder? Seems to me like you're hiding something...

Eleanor said...

Congratulations, Heather!

Chaz said...

Congrats! It was well deserved. In fact some people, ahem, me strive to be as good at blogging as you, Katebits, the 'ookies, etc, etc, etc.

karen said...

Impressive! You deserve every jump up and down and shout you took!

Anonymous said...

H.B.,

A very accurate statement in the Buffalo News? Lemme check gravity again.. *bonk* Still works.... weird.

Gratzie!

Ta,

Anonymous said...

Still an over fail for the article, as it made no mention of Heather's Tallinder obsession. ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks, guys!

In fact some people, ahem, me strive to be as good at blogging as you, Katebits, the 'ookies, etc, etc, etc.

Awww, thanks, Chaz! That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me :-D

And yeah, I'm a little disappointed at the lack of a Hank mention. I feel pretty strongly that are names should be linked at all times.

Kirsten said...

Nice work! You're famous! Our Wild Strib beat writer is too conceited to talk about other people who write about the Wild to mention any bloggers, so this is seriously cool.

You've done a fine job convincing me to try to like the Sabres after a long period of "mehing" at them after Peca left.

Derek said...

Thanks, appreciate the backup. Drury Sucks.