Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spinning My Wheels

You guys might have missed it because I'm pretty subtle with my opinions sometimes (that's sarcasm) but I'm really grooving on Mike Weber right now. This is kind of a new thing for me as far as hockey goes. In the past it's always taken a while for a player to grow on me. I have to take them in for a bit. But I don't know, I think I like him. In addition to being a mostly defensive defensemen (which you regular readers will know is totally my thing) he wears Bo Jackson's number, he has Travis Tritt on his Player Tunes list (along with Brooks and Dunn, Keith Urban's best song and NO rap), and his stupid roster photo is kind of endearing. The only negative I've dug up so far is that he's vehemently anti-visor. That's a tough one to swallow. Hank wears a visor AND a neck-guard so that's a big step back for me. I don't know how much I can enjoy watching a guy while fearing I'm going to some day see his eyeball pop out of his head and roll around on the ice.

Let's see if we can look a little less dorky next season, yes?

I have to admit, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to blog about these days. It seems kind of pointless to go the "rah-rah, the season isn't over!" route because well, the season is over. But it seems kind of wrong to start end-of-season review type entries because well, the season isn't over. I can't even tell you for sure who I'm planning on cheering for in the postseason because nothing is set. A few teams are trying awfully hard to get in and a few teams are trying awfully hard to get out. So I'm in a weird holding pattern.

Anything you guys wanna hear me talk about? Any questions? Anything you're dying to know? I have to kill at least another week, you know?

15 comments:

Katebits said...

Heather, I'm grooving on Sekera lately. I thought he was riveting on Friday. We should forget about Toni and Hank, and get matching Sekera and Weber jerseys.

Heather B. said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I'm grooving on Weber but I'm not GETTING RID OF HANK! Slow down there, missy :-D

But yes, GET A JERSEY ALREADY! (And I do think it's amusing how we keep ending up drawn to opposite sides of defensive pairings.)

twoeightnine said...

I've been impressed by both Sekera and Weber and well Kaleta's a given. I'm glad that they're getting some play and showing that they belong.

Here's something for you to do, I'm too busy/lazy to do it. Since we're such a cheap organization, figure out how much more money the Rangers and Flyers (two of the biggest markets) spent than us this off season to barely make the playoffs (or not make it.)

Anonymous said...

Haha, he does look dorky. He looks sort of like Boner from Growing Pains.

Heather B. said...

289, I was hoping for something that didn't require any actual work :P But I am kind of sort of planning on looking at why I think the Sabres are in a better position for next season than some other teams including the Rangers and the Flyers - especially the Rangers. I have to crunch a few numbers first though.

Lee, he does look like Boner. That's funny.

Anonymous said...

Wait a second... Kate still doesn't have a jersey?!? I'm shocked and appalled.

On a somewhat gruesome note, you don't have to worry about his eyeballs popping out and rolling on the ice, Heather. The optic nerve is surprisingly strong and thick, so it usually results in the eye looking like a mushy cheek-pendulum. Much better than dragging on the ice.

And what the heck is up with all this talk of 'Tooth not being resigned to a contract? I heard some woman say that at HSBC when I was in WNY and I just heard it again today on the 'net radio. I demand an expose!

Anonymous said...

How about taking a quick look at the draft rankings to see who you like? Should the Sabres trade their two 1st round picks to get into the top 5? Buffalo Sabre Steven Stamkos has a nice ring to it...

Unknown said...

But it seems kind of wrong to start end-of-season review type entries because well, the season isn't over.

Word. I have a few ideas for end of the season posts. But there's still a week left, even though most of this city thinks that the season is over now because there is no postseason for the Sabres.

I'm wondering which of the players is going to be on the first plane out of Western New York once the lockers have been cleaned out and final autographs signed.

Anonymous said...

While Sekera & Webber have proven they are both great players and can hang with the "big boys" and Kaleta is a fire-cracker on the ice, I'm still sticking with Hank (just 'cause of his skating style and his dimples) and Goose ('cause he's shown a lot of leadership potential this year and well, he's HOT)!

I need some time for the "new guys" to make their way into my "favorites".

Anonymous said...

OK, Sekera just made my favorites list.

S.A.M. said...

Weber's picture is classic. He looks like he was surprised by the camera or something. poor guy.

I know we should prepare ourselves for the worst (also known as reality) but the fact that by some cosmic insanity or a miracle the boys could still make it keeps me from those sinister thoughts.

But if it does all go to smash, and the Sabres don't win all of their remaining games, I still have my backups (I'm not a bandwagoner, I swear, I've liked these teams for 14 and 7 years, respectively), the Red Wings and the Devils.. though my heart truly belongs to the Sabres.

LeeAndrew said...

I vote that Kate gets an Alexander Mogilny jersey. Umm...he still plays for Buffalo right??

Heather B. said...

I vote that Kate gets an Alexander Mogilny jersey. Umm...he still plays for Buffalo right??

Nice try, hermano.

Anonymous said...

I vote that Kate gets an Alexander Mogilny jersey. Umm...he still plays for Buffalo right??

Nice try, hermano.


I'm sure I don't get the joke, but Mogilny jerseys kick ass!! The only problem is, whenever I wear it in Buffalo people feel the need to jeer me... why the Alex hate, folks?

Heather B. said...

Matt, never fear! We're not making fun of Mogilny, we're just making fun of how little Lee(Andrew) knows about hockey. There will be no Mogilny mocking in the B. Home since he's one of Mark's all-time favorites.