Sunday, March 2, 2008

I Got Nothing

I got nothing.

I've been sitting here staring at my screen and I can't come up with a single coherent thought - positive or negative - about this game or this team. I'm completely blank inside. I have thoughts on other things but when I try to zero in on hockey all I can remember is Harry Neale talking about Henrik Tallinder making a misplay when he wasn't even on the ice. There's nothing else. I think my mind is trying to protect me by blocking everything hockey related out.

However, I have nothing else to do right now - so I'm going to throw out some stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with hockey. Feel free to comment. Hey, it might be good for you to block it out too, you know.

- I'm about halfway through the second season of Battlestar Galactica and I really, really like it a lot. It's no Firefly but what is? I'm hoping to catch up with it completely before it starts back up with the new season. I totally hated Starbuck at first but she's kind of grown on me. I have a weird thing about Edward James Olmos - he creeps me out - so I wasn't sure how that was going to work out but he's good. I'm all about Tigh. That guy kills me even if he is a screw-up.

- When Lost is all said and done, all I really want is a happy ending for Desmond (my current wallpaper) and Penny. I hate Jack and Kate. Could not care less about them. I like Locke and Sawyer but they're probably both domed and I'm fine with that. But if Desmond and Penny don't reunite, get married, have lots of adorable babies and live happily ever after, I'm going to be disappointed. Disappointed enough that the whole show will be a let-down for me. I really think they've become the emotional underpinnings of the whole show. What do you think the chances of a happy ending actually are?

- I've long been opposed to a new Indiana Jones movie, not because Harrison Ford is old but because I think they were pretty lucky to get out with three decent to great movies (Raiders of the Lost Ark - great, Temple of Doom - decent, Last Crusade - good). I had no desire to see that ruined, particularly after hearing the first script wasn't up to George Lucas's standards. (Lucas is certainly a genius when it comes to certain things but screenwriting is not one of those things.) But I'm not gonna lie, the teaser trailer for the new movie gave me happy chills. Usually there's only one summer movie I really HAVE to see and everything else goes in the rental pile but this year there are a few big movies I want to see in addition to the new Indy, The Dark Knight and Iron Man being the other two must-sees. I'm so stoked about Robert Downey, Jr. in Iron Man.

- Since BSG has been sucking up most of my time, I haven't watched a lot of movies lately. I did see Across the Universe which I really expected to hate but I kind of liked it. Parts of it didn't work (skip the Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite sequence) but parts of it were really sweet and touching, I thought. The lead guy's voice reminded me a little of Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge so that was a plus in his favor since I adore Ewan in MR.

- I want Jillian to win Project Runway, but I think it's going to be Christian. Which will annoy me to no end.

- I've been devouring U2 by U2 the last few days. I got this for Christmas last year - it's a coffee table book full of little tiny print interviews and tons of amazing photos - and while I loved what I read, at the time I was working two jobs and it was tough to carry around with me so I didn't get too far into it. I pulled it down off the bookshelf Friday night and have gotten totally lost in it. It's very cool because unlike most U2 things which focus on Bono and Edge, this includes exhaustive interviews with all four guys. I've always had a soft spot for Larry - so handsome! so stoic and private! so dryly funny! - so I'm loving getting into his head a little. (My favorite album is The Joshua Tree although I think their best album is Achtung Baby. My ten favorite U2 songs - off the top of my head, no thought at all which is the only way I can do this or I'll be here all night changing the list: I Will Follow, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Bad, All I Want Is You, One, Until the End of the World, Acrobat, Wake Up Dead Man, Beautiful Day, City of Blinding Lights. Interesting. Maybe Achtung Baby is my favorite album. Okay, I'm changing the subject now because I'm already having second thoughts about that list and I could do this forever.) I've never seen a book with its own commercial. That's pretty cool.

- Some of my favorite non-hockey sports blogs/websites: Fire Joe Morgan, Where Have You Gone, Andy Van Slyke?, The Dugout, SportsJustice (for the Astros stuff - I skip the football and basketball talk), and The Hardball Times. Guess I should have just said "baseball" instead of "non-hockey."

- And now I leave with you my favorite recent YouTube video:



Worst blog entry ever? Maybe so. Better than that Sabres game? It might be.

14 comments:

Katebits said...

This blog post is WAY better than that Sabres game. I have all sorts of thoughts and feelings after reading this post, whereas the Sabres made me feel dead inside. I am so happy you like BSG. I don't tend to like sci-fi very much, but I loooove BSG. If you ever want to sit around discussing the meaning of life as it is framed by BSG, I'm your girl.

Meg said...

The trailer for the new Indiana Jones movie is almost too good. It makes me a little nervous that I'm going to get my hopes up and then it's going to suck.

I'm totally psyched about Robert Downey, Jr. in Iron Man. It was never my favorite comic when I was reading through my dad's collection as a kid, but this one page where Stark is lying passed out drunk in the street has always stuck with me. I mean it's no death of Electra or anything but I was a pretty sheltered kid and it was highly disturbing for me. Which is all to say that my main association with Iron Man is substance abuse so that really makes Robert Downey, Jr. perfect for the role.

Heather B. said...

Kate, do you have a favorite BSG character? I find that to be an interesting question because I've had very few people give the same answer.

Meg, I hear you on Indy. I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable.

I don't know a ton about Iron Man - I'm still pretty limited in my Marvel knowledge - but based on what I do know, I think RDJ is a really good fit for Tony Stark. I love RDJ anyway though and am glad to see him healthy. For a while there I was really afraid he was going to end up wasting his whole career which would've been a shame because I think he's super talented. (And totally adorable.)

Katebits said...

I LOVE Six and Gaius Baltar. Crazy bitches! I'm a total cylon lover.

Gambler said...

"The shiny guy always worries." "Don't talk back to Darth Vader, he'll get ya!" Oh my God, that little girl is so cute!

You may have thought this was a terrible post (it wasn't), but rest assured that no matter how bad you think you are, you're still a better blogger than I am. Man... I'm beginning to think I may never watch hockey again. Sigh.

Marie said...

I was so nervous that Desmond was going to die! I kept thinking that he couldn't get killed off, but it really came down to the last second. He contributes so much to the show and I, too, want to see him reunited with Penny.

I think it'll be a close decision between Jillian and Christian. I think Christian is really talented (and I like him!) but Jillian always comes out of nowhere with these brilliant designs so I think she has a chance of winning.

Grumps said...

Bravo re your thoughts about Lucas' writing abilities. I've always contended he's a brilliant technical producer and director but sucks at content. The Prequel trilogy (Eps. 1, 2 and 3) would have WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY better if Lucas has let someone else write and direct (as he did with Eps 5 and 6). Because we didn't we instead have sad little blemishes on the glory that is Star Wars. They were great visual films but filled with some really pathetic acting, horrible dialogue and confusing plots.

Grumps said...

And, BTW, thanks for the break from hockey. What a disappointing weekend after that great game on Wed.

shelli said...

The highlight of the game (other than Pominville sneaking off with the puck to score) was the stream of hockey haikus that my 16 year old daughter kept throwing at me. Hilarious! Here is the last one:

I hate the Red Wings.
Let's slam them into the boards.
Hurt those stupid boys.

They weren't ALL that violent...

Anonymous said...

Pookie's Top Ten U2 songs:

1. Bad
2. All I Want Is You (now with more Staffy!)
3. Love is Blindness
4. Faraway (So Close)
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Running To Stand Still
7. The Fly
8. One
9. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10. So Cruel

I so wish I could find a live recording of Running to Stand Still. Bono adds some extra little bit to it that makes the song just transcendent.

Steph said...

I loved that Sabres game!

Heather B. said...

Kate, good choices! Tigh is my favorite (for now) but I do really like Gaius too.

Gambler, those were my favorite parts along with "Obi Kenobi" and how earnest she sounded about Princess Leia's planet getting blown up.

kms2, I don't dislike Christian really. He gets on my nerves sometimes but I'll chalk that up to him still being very young. I do think he's very talented and very entertaining. I'd just like to see him get a touch more maturity first. I love Jillian and I usually favor her look.

Grumps, I totally agree on Lucas. He has amazing vision and he's a good story man but he needs help translating his ideas to screen. I was really disappointed when he dedcided to write and direct the prequels. I'll always feel like Ewan McGregor was wasted as young Obi-Wan. I think he could've been great if he'd had more to work with.

Shelli, I love it! Haiku mania is sweeping the hockey nation! Pommers goal was totally the best part of the weekend. I think that was one of the best things I've ever seen in a hockey game.

Pookie, good choices! I love comparing U2 lists because they're never exactly alike. If I'd edited, Running to Stand Still probably would have slipped in. I do really love it. I have a good live version of it so I'll see if I can figure out how to get it up where you can hear it. I'm stupid about that kind of thing.

Did I mention that I think it's terrible that Ronan Tynan changed the words to All I Want Is You so that it was about the Stanley Cup? Well, I do. Come on, Ronan!

Heather B. said...

Steph, I don't know if you noticed, but we're not talking about the game :PPPP

Anonymous said...

Did I mention that I think it's terrible that Ronan Tynan changed the words to All I Want Is You so that it was about the Stanley Cup?

Staffy told him it was a bad idea but did Ronan listen? No! No he did not! (Staffy wanted him to sing "All I Want is Brains", so it wasn't really an improvement.)