Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Think of a Wonderful Thought

Someone has been complaining that it's been depressing around here the last few days so here are some things that I'm happy about.

- The Penguins are up 3-0 on the Rangers. That tickles me. Marion Hossa put the Pens on the board tonight before the crowd at MSG even had a chance to get warmed up. I heard a lot of people say, "Remember the Sabres were up 2-0 on the Rangers last year and they tied the series back up." To which I said, "This Pens team is not last year's Sabres team." I think we were as talented as them (at least) but seriously, we played like crap and were lucky to get out of that series. The Penguins are mostly playing well and when they're not, they don't panic. (The Canadiens might be the Sabres of last season but we'll save that for another post since that has definitely not made me happy.)

- Sean Avery has been invisible in this series. (Except for one he was getting beat up on by the Pens at the end of Game 2.) I like him better that way.

- Jason Pominville and Nathan Gerbe are playing together at least some of the time on the U.S. team. Let's get that chemistry going now, boys.

- Jason Pominville was nominated for the Lady Byng. I know some people think the Lady Byng is lame but I think they're lame. Playing a tough, physical sport doesn't mean you can't be a good sport. Good sportsmanship does not automatically equal wussy. It just means you're not a jackass. The nominees sometimes seem kind of random - there's definitely a bit of "Oh, this guy has a lot of points but not a lot of penalty minutes" which is a little dumb since I don't think penalty minutes are necessarily an indicator of how respectful you are of the game and the other people on the ice. But whatever the criteria, I think most people would agree that a nomination for any of the major awards means that you're earning the respect of people around the NHL. I wrote earlier this season about how I tended to overlook Pominville's contributions so I think it's pretty cool to see his name up there with some of the best talents in the league.

- I ran into Paul Posluszny at Wegmans. (Almost literally.) My ankle was really bothering me so I was focused on getting to a cart someone had abandoned in front of the store so I had something to lean on and when I spun it around toward the door, there he was in front of me. If I'd been a couple of seconds slower I would've hit his cart with mine. I didn't say anything but I think he could tell I recognized him because he grinned and nodded. I'm glad I didn't attempt a conversation because I doubt it would've gone anything like it did in my head ("You have a plate and screws in your ankle? I have plates and screws in my arm! Wanna feel them?") but I do kind of wish I'd said, "Hey, Poz!" I think he would've said hi back. Anyway, it was really cool. I've waited on a few recognizable people in various jobs (Jim Lorentz - very pleasant, Doug Flutie - total jerk) but professional athletes don't tend to live in my end of town so it was the first time I've ever seen anyone just wandering around during my daily life. I've been railing on Paul to get a haircut for a while - I didn't like the buzz he had when he first came to town but in his most recent Time-Warner commercial it's a little too in his face for my taste - but from the back it's very pretty. It has big, swoopy curls and waves in it. (You cannot get this kind of update from the Buffalo News, people.)

- As Anne pointed out in a comment on the previous post, the Swedish team is missing Henrik Tallinder. Join the club, Sweden! They even mentioned him in the same sentence as Nicklas Lidstrom which totally makes me happy.

- The Stars just went up 3-0 on the Sharks. Everyone and his grandmother picked the Sharks to beat the Stars this round but I said this: "DALLAS IN SIX. And I wouldn't be shocked if it's Dallas in five." That's right, I'm a freaking genius. (I know it's not over but come on... It's over.)

To the person who complained about how much I was depressing him, is this better? Are you happy now? :P

9 comments:

Schnookie said...

I heard a lot of people say, "Remember the Sabres were up 2-0 on the Rangers last year and they tied the series back up."

My favorite part about that "Oh, no, we've got the Pens right where we want them" rationale from Rangers fans is the fact that THEY STILL LOST THAT SERIES. I just want to say, "Hey, that's great that you got it back to 2-2 against the Sabres last year. How'd games 5 and 6 work out for you?"

Anonymous said...

I picked the Hawks to beat the Celtics twice when everybody said the Celtics would sweep and I said the Spurs would win in just 5 games when most people thought the Suns would win the series. Is our family genius or what?

Heather B. said...

Schnookie, I admit I didn't even think of that but Mark mentioned it last night. It does seem like kind of a "duh." (Rangers fans, you know?) :P

Lee, someone should be paying us for this for sure.

Zach said...

The nominees sometimes seem kind of random - there's definitely a bit of "Oh, this guy has a lot of points but not a lot of penalty minutes" which is a little dumb since I don't think penalty minutes are necessarily an indicator of how respectful you are of the game and the other people on the ice.

That is exactly how they pick the Lady Byng nominees. They take the top 50 or 100 scorers and line them up by least penalty minutes and take the top three.

Anonymous said...

Very nice and optimistic post, Heather!!

I agree about the Pens...They seem to be cruising along in the playoffs while the Sabres last year were still trying to figure out how to turn on the car.

My favorite part about that "Oh, no, we've got the Pens right where we want them" rationale from Rangers fans is the fact that THEY STILL LOST THAT SERIES.

I was actually yelling that at the TV during an MSG postgame. It's like they like to forget that little fact...

I am so jealous that you met Poz! He is by far my favorite Bill - and thank you for that extremely enlightening hair update because on TV it is not an attractive sight. It's good to know it's better in person.

Mark B said...

"To the person who complained about how much I was depressing him, is this better? Are you happy now? :P"

Yes, much better!

You were talking about me, right? :-)

shelli said...

Now HERE is a happy thought:

I just saw where Sean Avery is out for the "rest of the season" with a lacerated spleen. Too bad. I was really looking forward to seeing him get the shit beat out of him. It seemed like it was soooo close to happening!

Bye-bye, Rangers.

Anonymous said...

The Stars just went up 3-0 on the Sharks.

DEPRESSING.

But thanks anyways for trying, Heather.

Heather B. said...

They take the top 50 or 100 scorers and line them up by least penalty minutes and take the top three.

Officially? Because that's kind of dumb. Seems a little biased against d-men (because they're generally not going to have as many points as forwards) and definitely biased against defensive d-men. (What else is new? :P)

Katie, I think Poz could still stand for a little trim but it really was much better in person. He's also very handsome :-D

You were talking about me, right? :-)

I was careful to protect the identity of the party involved but if you're feeling guilty, go with that :P

andrew, I'm not going to pretend I'm sorry the Sharks are losing but I am sorry you have to suffer through it. That's a bummer.