Wednesday, April 9, 2008

SabreCast: The Good and the Bad

New SabreCast episodes! I can't figure out how to get the cute little player into a post on Blogger and I'm too tired to keep fighting it for now. I'm supposed to be going to bed earlier this week in preparation for (hopefully) returning to work next week but playoff hockey is going to screw that up something awful. I love marathon overtime games so I stay up hoping for them. And then they happen and I'm up until 2:00, cursing myself for not going to be bed before the second games started.

I'll probably write more later but for now, I'll sum up my thoughts on tonight's games:

Marty Brodeur looked awful which is very, very bad for New Jersey.

Ottawa looked amazingly awful. If Anton Volchenkov doesn't come back they might lose in three games. I got a kick out of Sidney Crosby trading hacks and swings with Wade Redden and then making some kind of zero gesture with his fingers when yapping with Dany Heatley. (You have zero points? Your team's score is zero? I'm a hero and you're a zero?)

I'm bummed I didn't get the overtime game and bummed that Minnesota couldn't pull it out.

The San Jose-Calgary game confirmed that I'm both anti-Sharks and anti-Brian Campbell. I felt a little bad during the closeups of him on the bench after he got completely owned by Jarome Iginla but I snapped out of it when I remembered that he wanted six million dollars (plus!) a year for that defense (and the sparkling turnover right behind his net) and hasn't quit complaining that Buffalo wouldn't give it to him. At the end of the game I was actually saying aloud, "Don't let Campbell win this game, don't let Campbell win this game." I know Kiprusoff had a rough season but he looked really good tonight.

Anyway, here are the podcasts. If you want the nice little players, you can listen to them at The Willful Caboose. Otherwise just click on the episode titles.

EPISODE 3: IT'S ALL BAD
In this episode Kate and Heather look at the bad side of Thomas Vanek, Darcy Regier, the Brian Campbell saga, and missing the playoffs. They also discuss what happens when Ryan Miller goes bad and give him some advice for the off-season.

EPISODE 4: IT'S ALL GOOD
In this episode Kate and Heather look at the good side of Thomas Vanek, Darcy Regier, the Brian Campbell saga, and missing the playoffs. They also delight in Ryan Miller’s final interview of the season. It’s not all bad Sabres fans!

(This is totally a learning process but I think Kate and I started to find more of a rhythm in these two episodes. It is only a matter of time before we take over the airwaves of Buffalo.)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's p0wned, not owned. c'mon, get with it :p

Meg said...

I'm bummed I didn't get the overtime game and bummed that Minnesota couldn't pull it out.

I was so disappointed that Minnesota didn't win. I didn't watch the overtime because I was more interested in San Jose-Calgary but from what I did see of the game (not that much) I thought Minnesota looked better than Colorado but Theodore has remembered that he was actually a good goalie once.

I said it on Kate's blog so I'm sure you saw it there, but I loved your podcasts and am very glad you put the happy one second for a nice pick me up. :D

twoeightnine said...

It's actually pwned. C'mon, get with it.

Anne said...

Heather, if you want to say owned, you say owned! Haha. But pwned or its many variations do make me chuckle. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch and locker cleanout day interviews. But, in order to fully enjoy the SabreCasts I feel I must endure. Deep breaths, deep breaths.

Jennifer said...

The Pens/Ottawa game was awesome and so was the San Jose/Calgary (what I saw anyway)! Hope NJ has better luck on Friday. That Avery goal was DISGUSTING.

Heather B. said...

All right, all right! He got pwned! Sheesh! :P

dani said...

Nice podcast! and thanks for posting the video too haha I like how he threw Goose's name in there. He IS important!

shelli said...

My apologies to Minnesota and New Jersey for rooting for your teams to win last night. I should know better than to unleash the terrible life-sucking powers I possess as a long-time Buffalo sports fan. The funny part is that I didn't actually know that I was hoping for the Sharks to win but once again, the powers did their job.

I knew there was going to be some Kotalik-bashing on that first Sabrecast!!! You didn't say anything that wasn't true except you forgot to mention that he is very dependable in the shoot-out. And totally HOT!!!

Mike said...

I was listening to the Sabres press conference earlier and someone passed out. I presumed a picture of Drury was circulated and it was Bucky that passed out. Turns out it was a camera guy.

I don't like that I don't like Campbell, but he was an ice skating dumpster fire from what I watched last night. And that USA Today article (thanks for the link). Nice quotes pal. "I didn't want to let Briere, Drury, Grier down. Now I don't want to let Grier Roenick and Thornton down" Can't slip that by me, that means you couldn't care less about letting Miller, Pominville, Vanek, Roy, Hecht, etc. down.

Heather B. said...

Can't slip that by me, that means you couldn't care less about letting Miller, Pominville, Vanek, Roy, Hecht, etc. down.

That's what I said in the podcast which I can only assume you're listening to RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND! :P (Kidding. You don't have to.)

Shelli, I did leave out that Al is good in the shootout. But I also left out how he seems to think slapshots will actually go through the shins of opposing players. I'm... not an Al fan :P And Mark said the same thing about Minnesota: "I cursed them by picking them!"

Mike said...

My computer is a moody little bastard so the podcast basically causes it to explode. So I have yet to hear one. I need to call my I.T. buddy. Then he can talk computer lingo to me (I understand Spanish better) and then my computer will work better.

Heather B. said...

Vanek's Hair, in that case I'll tell you that the quote bothered me for exactly the reasons you mentioned and also because as one of the older, more experienced players in Buffalo, Campbell needed to move past the whole "I need other players to inspire me" phase of his career. He was given a letter for much of the season and asked to be a leader. That means he should have been the one other people were looking up to as a guide. Instead he's kind of shown himself to be less mature than players who are a good bit younger and less experienced than him. I think it's better that we figured that out while he's on another team than figure it out after we've paid him 6.5 million and slapped a letter on him.

(When you fix your computer, you can skip the first two podcasts but these two are pretty good, I think and because they're season wrap-ups they're not as timely as the first two. And that's my plug for the day.)

shelli said...

NOT AN ALES FAN???? I know, I know. I am probably his only fan. It pisses me off that he COULD be amazing but doesn't seem to care. And remember, his slapshots don't go through shins but they are foot breakers!

Tell Mark that I would be thrilled if he would join me in rooting for the Rangers....