Wow, that sold out crowd being so quiet you could hear the Zamboni scraping the ice was easily one of the spookiest things I've ever heard. Devastating. I'm glad they managed to get Richard Zednik off the ice so quickly. He was clearly going limp as they hit the bench. Clint Malarchuk was before my time in Buffalo and I'm glad. Tonight was more than enough for me. I would hope every crowd would respond appropriately but when the PA announcer let the crowd know that Zednik was stable and on his way to the hospital and the crowd stood up and cheered and the players started tapping their sticks (one of my favorite little things about hockey), I definitely got teary-eyed.
I almost feel bad talking about the game so let's just hit some quick points.
- Tim Connolly made it through the whole game in one piece! Granted, I have no idea how he's feeling now so I guess we'll have to see. I will say this for Tim, our powerplay is unquestionably better when he's in the line-up. He gets the puck moving better and quicker than anyone else out there.
- After Brian Campbell gave that puck to the Panthers on the tying goal, I would've gladly put him on the Panthers' plane in exchange for Olli Jokinen or a pile of hockey sticks, whichever they were willing to part with.
- Four goals in six games for Thomas Vanek. He's been looking much more confident the past few games. Is he finally busting out of his slump?
- Another game where Ryan Miller kept the Sabres in it until they pulled it together.
- I did have to giggle a little when while doing the post-game highlights Mike Robitaille responded to the tying goal with, "The Sabres had to be feeling their necks here." Kind of an unfortunate turn of phrase considering the events of the evening, Roby.
- I won't get too excited about the fact that we pulled ahead in the third and held on for the win since I doubt either team - the Panthers especially - had their heads completely in the game but we did get the win.
Man. Weird night. Let's not do that again.
Oh, you might have noticed that there's currently a poll about the shootout at the top right of the page. Every once in a while I kind of assign my opinion to others - real fans hate the shootout! - which is ridiculous so I'm curious to see what everyone else really thinks. If you're here, take a second to vote even if you don't leave a comment. The poll will be up for a week or until I get tired of looking at, whichever comes first.
Prayers and positive vibes to Zednik and his family.