Saturday, September 27, 2008

I've Got Vision and the Rest of the World is Wearing Bifocals

Some thoughts while half listening to Sabres-Leafs on the radio:

- As someone who was raised on older movies, I was pretty bummed to hear about Paul Newman's death. He's one of my favorites. Thanks to my iPod I don't listen to WGR very often but on occasions when I accidentally leave it behind I sometimes tune in for a few minutes because my car radio suddenly quit picking up FM stations about a year ago. A few months ago they did a Paul Newman version of the obituary game in which they attempt to pick what movie or TV show will be mentioned in the first sentence of a celebrity's obituary. I figured Color of Money would come up first since it's his Oscar winning performance but for me there's no question what Paul Newman's best movie is. If you've never seen this movie, get thee to a video store immediately. Or just go buy it. It's one of my favorites and it's totally worth the money you'll spend. Here are a couple of other great scenes.

- When Steve Bernier was traded I went back and read the post I wrote after his first game in Buffalo and the thing that really caught my attention was not how physical he was in that game but how much his physicality trickled down to the rest of the team. Derek Roy was hanging off people's backs, Tim Connolly was jumping into scrums and in one of my favorite moments of the season, Dmitri Kalinin got sent to the box with Patrick Kaleta where they shared an adorably triumphant fist-bump.

I'm really curious to see if Craig Rivet will have that kind of effect on the Sabres (but on a more consistent basis). I'm especially curious to see what kind of influence he has on Toni Lydman if he and Toni do end up playing together. I love Henrik Tallinder but he's just not an overly physical guy and probably never will be. And while Toni will never be throwing his gloves around the ice, I think he is capable of playing with a little more of an edge than he usually does. It'd be nice to have one defensive pairing that's willing to knock the opposition around some. I'm sure Ryan Miller would appreciate that as well.

- See, this is the problem with trying to write about games I can't see. Mike Weber got tossed out of the game for cross-checking Matt Stajan in the neck. Harry Neale said on the radio broadcast that he didn't think it looked like that big of a deal. Mike Harrington said on Sabres Edge that it was deserved. I'm inclined to believe Harrington over the guy who even after six months continued to mix up Paul Gaustad and Jason Pominville (different numbers, totally different sizes, completely different styles of play) but it would be nice to be able to form my own opinion. I can't wait until television coverage starts.

- Again, it's hard to say for sure but it certainly sounded like Maxim Afinogenov played pretty well. Coincidence that I wrote here yesterday that I'd like to see Max with Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek and tonight that's what happened? I'm not so sure. Lindy, if you're reading this, wear a striped tie Sunday night.

- The Sabres play really well but fall behind, tie it up with 2:30 left in the game and then win in overtime. I have two thoughts: One, ha ha to the Leafs. Two, do we really need to break out the exciting but frustrating games already? Can't we ease into this, guys?

- While it's really too bad Henrik Tallinder and Jochen Hecht didn't play on Red Carpet night, there were some decent highlights anyway.

Ales Kotalik looking like he's about to sell those children something illegal:

Watch out, kids!

Derek Roy rocking a suit that only Derek Roy would wear:

You gotta admire the kid's gumption.

And finally, Teppo Numminen showing all the little boys how it's done:
Smoking. What can I say? I like my men older.

(All photos taken by Bill Wippert and found on Sabres.com.)

- Totally unrelated to tonight's game but something I thought about while walking around the mall today. Fellow people of Buffalo, it's time to let go of the Drury/Briere jerseys and jersey tees. I understand being attached to players and how hard it is to say goodbye to those you love. I even kind of understand continuing to wear them last season as a defiant message to ownership that you did not approve of their dealings. But it's the dawning of a new day here in Buffalo. It's a new era and a new team. It's time to move on. Personally I'd toss those suckers right in the garbage but if you need to perform a ceremony, maybe lovingly place the jersey in a boat, a hockey stick laid carefully across it, and send it out on Lake Erie a la Boromir being sent down the Anduin toward the Falls of Rauros that's fine too. But whatever you gotta do, let's do it already.

- I'm going to Sunday's game! Yay!

10 comments:

Meg said...

I love Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. :) And Newman was certainly one of the easiest celebrities to like what with all his philanthropy etc. So sad.

Heather B. said...

Oh, Meg, I always knew you had good taste :) And you're so right about Paul Newman. Seemed like a good guy, happily married for a lifetime, handsome, talented and a modest but devoted philanthropist. Not a bad life right there.

Mike said...

I finally found something factually inaccurate on the Top Shelf blog. Contrary to Top Shelf reports, that is not a suit "only Derek Roy would wear." In fact, reports that Vanek's Hair owns a similiar suit have been confirmed. Photographs of Vanek's Hair wearing the suit in question do exist.

Heather B. said...

In fact, reports that Vanek's Hair owns a similar suit have been confirmed. Photographs of Vanek's Hair wearing the suit in question do exist.

Normally Top Shelf would stand by its reporting until such photos were made public but since Vanek's Hair has proven to be a fairly reliable source in the past, Top Shelf apologizes for the mistake. Derek Roy is not the only person who would wear said suit.

(And Hank WAS there but remained unphotographed! Boooo!)

Chaz said...

I love how it looks like Miller is laughing a D Roy!

Unknown said...

And Hank WAS there but remained unphotographed!

I think I saw a quick :05 glance of Hank during the video recap on sabres.com.

I am really in awe of the white suit sported by Mr. Roy. Not many people can pull it off, but Roy does.

Kirsten said...

Ahaha, it's true. He totally looks like he's about to deal some smack.

D. Roy reminds me of Emery right there. Certified pimp suit.

Jennifer said...

Photographs of Vanek's Hair wearing the suit in question do exist.

Heather, I am not as easily swayed in my opinion. I say we demand to see the proof!!! :)

twoeightnine said...

Teppo looks like he stopped in at JC Penney on the way to his cousins wedding. I'm disappointed in my fellow Finn. We're stylish people!

Anonymous said...

I was at the game with Thomas on Saturday - I definitely thought Weber's crosscheck warranted more than a 2 minute penalty, but not an ejection.