Saturday, November 17, 2007

V-Day

In honor of NaBloPoMO, I'll be attempting to post something every day in November. If you're not checking in every day, make sure you're catching all the posts! Today I get to write about a win! I don't know what to do!

Well, true to my word, I did not really watch last night's game. I went to the library and stayed there for the entirety of the first period. (For those of you saying, "The library?" let me clarify that I love the library. It's my happy place.) I got in the car to head to Starbucks for a double chocolate chip frappucino and decided halfway there that I had to know what the score was. I was delighted to discover that it was 3-0! And then within minutes of me turning the radio on, Montreal scored. Eek! So I turned that sucker right off, went into Starbucks and hung out for a few minutes. But whereas I didn't really think too much about the game during the first period I was now dying to know what was going on. So I got back in the car and was thrilled to find that the Sabres had gotten the goal back to make it 4-1. It was also at that point that I decided the Hockey Gods are definitely screwing with me. Anyway, I did go home and sit in the same room as the TV but I tried not to pay too much attention since the team clearly needed to be out from under my gaze tonight. So while I'm glad we won, that leaves me trying to re-cap a game I didn't really watch. I could regurgitate what other people have said about last night but you know, you can just wander around and read those people yourself. Check out Goose's Roost or the open game thread at Bfloblog for game recaps.

I will share this quote from Derek Roy however. I got this from Hockey Buzz so take it with a grain of salt. I don't know anything about Garth, the Sabres blogger, other than that he clearly doesn't believe in proof-reading or spell-checking.

Tonight we said "we're not getting the bounces"...go out and don't look for bounces. We said that we would go out and play our game and work hard. I think that we did that. We weren't looking at the refs for penalties, and we weren't looking for excuses or bad bounces.. we worked really hard and executed the game plan.

That's more like it, Derek. No excuses, just play hard and deal with what happens. In my internet wanderings last night I saw a few people come down on Derek for shaking his head and laughing after he missed yet another open net, but hey, I'll take that every night. I think that shows a lot more maturity and self-control than swearing and slamming his stick around. I like seeing emotion but once he gets to that point he's usually putting himself out of the game. Seems like a step in the right direction to me.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Roy's play in general last night was definitely a step in the right direction that night. It can still be much better, although the head shaking and laughing didn't bother me--sometimes you just have to laugh at those things. I mean that his decision making is still not what it can be when he's at the top of his game. But he was definitely a positive contributor this time around. Hopefully he keeps it up!