Monday, December 21, 2009

Holiday Hockey Cheer

Theoretically I suppose I should be disappointed about the Sabres losing in a shootout Saturday night, but I was actually feeling pretty chipper afterward. Maybe it's the holiday season, maybe it's only having two days left of school before a week and a half vacation, but I was in a very generous mood. They didn't look out of place against one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference, they played really well in front of Patrick Lalime who in turn, looked pretty good for the second consecutive start. They have a nice little cushion in the Northeast Division. They earned 5 out of 6 points in a busy week. It's all good, Sabres fans.

Two minor complaints.

One, we're on Versus AGAIN? I don't hate their coverage the way some fans do (though I would appreciate the occasional replay of SOMETHING), but this is like, the 8th week in a row. Versus, I love both guys, but I'm going to need you to come up with some talking points beyond "Ryan Miller will probably be the Olympic starter" and "Tyler Myers is super tall."

Two, our power play is ineffective. Watching them try to score is like watching this poor little puppy try to get back on his feet. Except not nearly as cute. Or cute at all really.



On a completely unrelated note, I really, really, really want Paul Gaustad to make the U.S. Olympic team. That's my hockey Christmas wish.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

That puppy is ADORABLE. That video just made my day.

If Goose makes the US roster, I will throw a party. I will be so happy for him.

Meg said...

If Brian Burke puts Gaustad on the USA team I will refrain from making nasty comments about his reputation outstipping his ability to build a successful team for the rest of the season. That would be delightful

Mike said...

I am glad Lalime played well again. I also considered Saturday a win. They got a point, and Lalime became the first person to stop Sidney Crosby in the shootout this season. Good enough for me for a relatively meaningless mid-season game. Maybe two good performances by Lalime in a row will convince Lindy Ruff that back up goalie be played more frequently.

I am with you with regard to the power play. There is no one currently who can consistently get a shot through from the point.

I like that the Sabres are on Vs. It means they are nationally relevant. I also don't get too worked up about announcers anymore, other than to acknowledge that I like none of them. I am to the point where I wouldn't care if Carrot Top did play by play and Kirk Cameron did the color. Actually, I might be more interested if they did.