Monday, October 12, 2009

Meeting the Stanley Cup

Back from Toronto! You missed me, right? I don't know how Buffalo functioned without my hard-hitting analysis of what seemed to be a real humdinger of a game Saturday night.

While in Toronto, we, of course, stopped at the Hockey Hall of Fame. It was the first time either of us had been and there will be a longer post about it coming later this week. Those of you who read my Twitter, however, heard about a discussion we were having - to touch or not to touch the Stanley Cup? - and I wanted to go ahead and let you know where we both ended up on the subject.

First up was Mark:


Happy but happy from a respectful distance.

Then me:



That's right, I touched it.  Not only did I touch it, if they had let me, I would have lifted it over my head and run around the trophy room with it while yelling, "WOOOOOOOOOOOO!  LET'S GO BUFF-A-LO!"  And I would have gotten quite a chant going because in addition to the two of us, there were four Sabres jerseys in the room.  I had the numbers on my side.

So pretty.

5 comments:

Caroline said...

I touch the Cup too when I see it. I think it's one of the reasons why the Stanley Cup is so special...it's one of the only trophies were fans can go and touch the names of the past winners and see its history up close. Makes it more personal for the fans.

Gambler said...

Eeeeek! I am appalled at your conduct, Heather!

I went to the HHoF with my family last winter and it seems that we're all of the same mind when it comes to Cup etiquette: get as close as you want (leaning in to see the names, etc.) but don't touch. Maybe that will change if the Sabres ever win it, but for now it just feels wrong.

I can't wait to see your bigger post about the HHoF! I meant to do one of those about my trip, but, uh... I'm a horrible blogger. I'm interested to see if you enjoyed the same things I did.

Katebits said...

Aw, that's a SUPER cute picture. Of course, you've totally doomed us, but still, cute pic.

Lee Andrew said...

Clearly Mark is the Aragorn of he family and you are the Boromir.

War Penguin said...

I touched the Cup at the draft in Columbus. Two years later the Pens (my favorite team; I apologize for defiling the blog with my non-Sabre-fan-ness) won the Cup. So, no touching jinx. Or it only lasts one year, depending on how you look at it.