Well, geez. I expected the Red Wings to win. I even expected them to win fairly easily. But I did also expect the Penguins to score at least once or twice. Man.
- Chris Osgood is a dirty diver. A terrible dirty diver. I can't believe he hasn't been called for this yet. Next time he collapses to the ice like he's been shot after barely being touched (or throwing his arm out in front of an opponent) he should be dragged off the ice by his ear and forced to sit in the box for two minutes. Sadly, the Penguins would probably still fail to score. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if buried somewhere on Nicklas Lidstrom's list of talents is goaltending. I understand that Penguins fans are unhappy and if I were in their shoes I'd probably be complaining about Osgood too. But it hasn't even really affected the series because the one part of Detroit's game that isn't really working is their power play.
- On the other side, Gary Roberts is a punk. I don't care how some people try to justify it, he punched a guy in the head from behind. The fact that Johan Franzen is just back from what was allegedly a concussion makes it worse. It bothers me because Gary Roberts is exactly the kind of player who has probably paid lip service to the idea that players need to respect each other on the ice and make sure head shots aren't a part of the game.
- The Red Wings are amazing because not only are they playing well, they're making it look really easy. Clearly they're working hard and I'm not trying to suggest otherwise but they look so calm and organized. Maybe it's having watched the Sabres flail for much of the year but it's really breath-taking to watch a team that seems to have its act together.
- Chris Osgood should not win the Conn Smythe. I realize the Penguins are yet to score a goal in the series but he's really had very little to do with that. He's faced very few shots in comparison to other goalies throughout the postseason. I don't know who should be picked out from Detroit's very good defensive system which means Osgood may end up getting it anyway but it should be someone else.
- Hockey is almost over. What the heck am I going to write about all summer? Anyone?
ETA: I just saw this video on Off Wing Opinion (thanks to a tip from Kate). I love this kid. I really wish I'd grown up somewhere where kids played hockey.