Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Preseason Prognosticating

It's foolhardy to read too much into preseason, good or bad, I think. A lot of teams are giving kids long looks, lines and pairings are being shifted around in an effort to find the best chemistry, players have to be at least somewhat cautious about getting hurt. I think it's wise to keep all that in mind when thinking about preseason outcomes.

That said, I'm pretty sure last night's victory means the Sabres are officially better than the Washington Capitals AND the Detroit Red Wings. In addition, lots of Sabres fans at the game seemed to feel Henrik Tallinder played really well in his first preseason action. I think only two rational conclusions can be drawn: the Sabres are winning the Stanley Cup and Hank is winning the Norris.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's the kind of post I missed in the offseason. Welcome back, Hockey Heather B. :-)

TheTick said...

Preseason predictions always make me think of this, but really, there are some good signs, but that's all they are. It's just fun reading about it (and watching what we can of the other preseason games in advance of tomorrow night!).

TheTick said...

woops, http://www.xkcd.com/605/ is what I meant to post.

Heather B. said...

NCS, I was originally thinking our Cup victory might vault Hank into winning the Hart but that just seemed crazy. :)

Tick, I love that cartoon. Good stuff! Did you decide to go tomorrow night? I am!

RIPeters said...

i rather like this blog, hopefully you will write more, i enjoyed a few views last season.

i take no faith in the preseason, since most of these young puppies will be cut, if they are not already cut. i will say, from the puck drop, mccormick looked like he was putting every ounce of gut he had into his drills. very interested to see what this chap can do, he may not have all the skill in the world, but he seems to have a lot of drive to impress the coaching staff and his prospective teammates.

joe said...

You love talinder so much...what are you gonna do when he gets traded? ;)

hey check out my article on Sabres marketing, I'm sure youll really hate me for it..lol

Ebscer said...

In response to one of your season wants this year, have you seen this?

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/09/jochen-and-his-linemates.html

Heather B. said...

Joe, I'll be sad for sure. I'll understand why he was traded or not re-signed but I'll be sad. Hank's the perfect storm of things I love in my hockey players. (Excpet for the "sometimes crappy part." :P)

Ebscer, I did see that! I went to the game last night and the Grier-Goose-Jochen line was the best line on the ice IMO.