Thursday, July 26, 2007

Grammatical Note

Someone brought this column from today's Buffalo News to my attention. It's full of mostly calm, reasonable points about Darcy Regier, Michael Peca's potential return to Buffalo, and next year's team. I'm not sure how to respond to this. My world is spinning off its axis! Well played, Bob. You don't want to be one of the cool kids anyway.

Note to writers, bloggers, and message board dwellers: "Resign" is not an acceptable replacement for the word "re-sign." You can't drop the hyphen in this case because it makes a totally different word. In fact, it makes a word that means pretty much the opposite of what you're trying to say. This really, really bothers me so please stop.

Tomorrow I only have to work one job (wheeeeee!) so maybe I'll get a real post up.

5 comments:

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

(Sorry about the above - I thought I could just fix a typo)

Bob ended ok, but I thought he started out on a nasty rip.

But let's be honest here - Say you had just gone out of character and went on a totally rude rant and rave. Next think you know, people everywhere are discussing what Heather wrote.

Wouldn't one of the first thoughts in your head be "They read me! They really read me!" ?

Marie said...

haha, I too cringe when I come across "resign" instead of "re-sign". When I did my posts on RFAs and UFAs I looked it up to make sure I wasn't making an arse out of myself.

LeeAndrew said...

I HATE when people incorrectly use resign and re-sign. The only thing that bugs me more is the use of the world "last." Somebody will say something like, "did you see John Maine's last start?" I'll be "his last start?? Did he get injured?" They'll be like, "no, i mean last as in most recent, not last as in there won't be any more." Maybe that is the correct use of the word "last" but I wish people would use "most recent" and "final" instead of "last" for both.

Heather B. said...

Becky, definitely. Even if people were writing in and telling me they hated me, part of me would be thinking, "Yay! They're reading and responding!" (But it would hurt my feelings a little so none of you should feel like you need to do this.) Which is part of the reason I've just given up on fighting the whole Buffalo News fight. I don't think they care if I like them or not as long as I keep reading.