I'm annoyed by the NFL Draft. We were out and about buying furniture yesterday during much of the draft so I had the pleasure (and by pleasure, I actually mean the opposite of pleasure) of listening to the proceedings on WGR. I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money that most of the people who were calling in to complain about the Bills not selecting Brian Orakpo or Everette Brown haven't seen either of those kids play a single, solitary second of football outside of highlights during draft previews. So shut it, WNY.
Other things that bother me:
- Jeremy White. I don't listen to WGR very much but is he capable of having a conversation with people? Or does he just shrilly talk over them all the time?
- Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury's intermission shtick. Who decided these guys were entertaining? I'm particularly annoyed by the bit where they pretend to be the coaches. NBC is making Versus look good.
- Danica Patrick. Whether the hockey is on Versus or NBC, she's there. That Versus commercial makes me want to punch her in the face. Yeah, yeah, you're real tough. Shut up.
- Not enough of Calgary-Chicago and Jersey-Carolina, two of the best series in the first round, being broadcast so that I can see them. Next year, Center Ice.
- The phrase "Goalie X pitched a shut-out." I get what it means, of course, but I don't know, it grates on me. Maybe I'm against the mixing of sports. I think it's because while a pitcher is being active and putting the ball in play, a goalie is reacting which is kind of the opposite of pitching. I might be thinking about this one too hard.
- First round sweeps. Booooooooooooo!
- People who hold up the line at Wilson Farms while buying a million different lottery tickets and games especially in the morning. Seriously, you can't do that at a time when everyone isn't stopping on their way to work? Enjoy that $2 you win, schmuck
- People who hold up the line forever while digging around in their purse or wallet or any number of pockets looking for the exact change. If you don't want the coins, dump 'em in the donation thing and move on.
- Writers, professional and amateur, who use resign and re-sign interchangeably. I know the hyphen is going out of style and I'm fine with that, but in this case, not only are you changing the meaning of the word, you're using a word that's kind of the opposite of what you're trying to say. Stop doing that.
- Drivers who don't wave when I let them pull out or over in front of me. Courtesy wave, people. Not that hard.
- People who use fake real names on message boards and in chats. Yeah, maybe once in a while that guy posting as Tom Golisano gets a real zinger in. Usually not so much.
- "Coming up on this episode of The Amazing Race..." Why, pray tell, Amazing Race, would I want to know what's going to happen during the episode that I'm about to watch? And while we're here, why aren't you in HD? You are crying out to be shown in HD.
- Twitter. No, I do not want to follow you on Twitter. That goes for all of you.
Totally unrelated, the Pirates beat the Padres today, putting them in sole possession of the NL wild card. I'm petitioning the league to start the playoffs tomorrow as soon as I finish here. Not only are the Pirates playing .500 ball, they're playing .600 ball. (Note to Lee: Little Joe LaRoche has a ten game hitting streak so you know, he's doing okay. The final judgement on the Jason Bay trade will be whether or not Bryan Morris pans out, I think.)