Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Tiny Terror Terrorizes Toronto

Last we talked I was a little annoyed with Derek Roy for what I felt was an egregious display of puck bunny pandering. What can I say? Six points against the Leafs will earn anyone a little slack, especially a hat trick that consisted of one of every kind of goal - even strength, power play, and short-handed. I was listening to the game on the radio (I had a long, ugly battle with Sopcast before I finally convinced myself that I wanted to hear Matt Barnaby call the game) so I won't pretend like I was getting the full picture, but based on the highlight package I saw, I can say the Tiny Terror was buzzing, creating some havoc, and earned atleast a couple of his points through sheer hustle. That's the Derek I love. He was so brutal in the playoffs that I think a lot of fans forgot that he was very good in the regular season and terrific in the previous playoffs, particularly against Ottawa. All the youngsters have been saying the right things about stepping up and filling roles, but Derek is clearly chomping at the bit to get some extra responsibility on and off the ice. If he eases up on the whining a bit, he'll be aces. (Heather B's official prediction: 26 goals, 58 assists.)


It's really too bad that we don't have any offense. Poor Ryan will have to keep us in every game!

In other news, Jay McKee broke his foot. Oh, Jay.

6 comments:

Katebits said...

Roysie! Roysie! Roysie!

I had no idea how much I could love that little punk.

Gambler said...

He was so brutal in the playoffs that I think a lot of fans forgot that he was very good in the regular season

No kidding. I couldn't believe it when one of my co-workers responded to his contract signing with "Derek Roy is a terrible hockey player! No, I take that back, he's a horrible hockey player!" I mean, I bitched about him as much as anyone during the playoffs, but I have eyes. I know he has real talent underneath whatever issues he was having.

I wish I could have seen/heard the game. I was completely blown away when I heard about Roy's performance.

Katebits said...

Gambler, the best thing was that in his post-game interview, he was totally dismissive of all suggestions that he had been unusually awesome. He was downright BLAND and (dare I say it?)....Druryesque with his monotone responses.

Heather B. said...

I had no idea how much I could love that little punk.

He pulled off a particularly great movie at a game we were at last year and the guy beside me said it perfectly: "Man, I love that little bastard!"

Gambler, you should check out the highlights on TSN if you haven't seen them yet. Some really exciting stuff!

Mark B said...

Derek is skyrocketing up my list of favorite Sabres. I guess I just love an underdog. The little scrappy guy that won't stop fighting. The more people bash him, the more I love him. Just like the whole team.

Becky said...

(Heather B's official prediction: 26 goals, 58 assists.)

Was that just for the pre-season?